My Mema passed away last year and I have been putting off writing about her because I just don't know if I can do her justice. I am not eloquent enough to put into words how I feel about her, but I will give it a shot.
Mema was not related to me by blood, but she never treated me as anything other than her own granddaughter. I always felt a special bond to her because we were both left-handed. I believe my cousin Lauren and I are the only people on the McCall side of my family who are left-handed, other than Mema. My paternal grandmother, Frances McCall, passed away when my father was at Baylor. My granddaddy married Mary on Christmas Day, 1970, a decade before I was born.
Mema was beautiful inside and out, had a quick wit, and a wonderful sense of humor. She is among the sharpest people I have ever met in my life. She loved to wear bright colors, but was never flashy. She always looked flawless, not a hair out of place. She loved to play bridge and cards and talk about the people who were special to her. She loved to travel. She took me to London for my high school graduation present. She was almost 80 years old when we went to London, but my mother, Aunt Nancy, and I could barely keep up with her!
She loved to give of her time to better Baylor and her community. She was honored with a Baylor Founders medal in 2008.
https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=48927
She lived in Waco most of her life, but moved to Dallas in 2003 to be near her sweet daughter, Nancy and her husband Dan, and her granddaughters Jan and Lisa and their children. I moved to Dallas in December 2002, so Mema and I shared many special lunches and dinners as we only lived 4 miles apart. I treasured every moment with her and tried to glean any stories and information about my granddaddy from her as I was only 14 when he passed away. I wanted to know him better through her and I also wanted to know her better.
Mary Wilson Russell McCall attended Baylor University for three years and transferred to North Texas State University where she received her B.A. and taught in the demonstration school. She later received an M.S. in guidance and counseling from Baylor.
I love you, Mema, and miss you terribly. I rejoice in the fact that I will see you again!
Love,
Laura
In Denial
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment