Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Luke McCall Lacy makes his debut!

I have to blog about Luke's arrival in this world before it gets any later! I don't want to forget any of the details.

To be complete in my story, I have to start in mid-April. Dr. Hajovsky informed me that I was dilated to 3 centimeters at my 37 week appointment. I replied with 'I have to work!'. I literally thought 'Tadpole' as we were calling him at that point, might come any day. I was not ready! When I was dilated to 3 cm with Lane, he arrived three days later. I thought the same thing would happen with this one! NOPE!!! I tried to wrap up things at work because I wanted to take off FIVE FULL BUSINESS DAYS to relax, clean the house, and nest a little bit, and maybe get a pedicure if I had the time. Well, the 38 week appointment came and went, the 39 week appointment came and went, the 40 week appointment came and went. I was shocked! I thought the little guy would come early, even if it was only three days before the due date, like Lane did. I agreed to be induced. I was scared silly of being induced, but really didn't think I would have to be induced. I agreed to do it, but thought he would come on his own. We had our 40 week appointment on a Monday and I was scheduled to be induced on Friday, May 9th. Fast forward to Thursday, May 8th at 8PM. I rocked my first born to sleep and sang to him with tears in my eyes as it would be the last time he would be my only baby.

Fast forward to midnight on Friday, May 9th. Lane wakes up because he has vomited all over his crib, bedding, and stuffed animals. YUP! I spent the next 5 hours cleaning up puke and trying to get my poor little toddler comfortable enough to sleep again. I got approximately two hours of sleep and then we headed to the Community Hospital Labor and Delivery. We stopped off for Leland to get breakfast at Whataburger and arrived at 5:05 AM. The nurses started Pitocin at 6:04 AM. I was dilated to 4 centimeters. The nurse informed me that I was going to have the baby today whether I came in to be induced or not. It was fate! Our fabulous doulas, Evelyn and Pam, arrived about 7AM and 8AM, respectively. My sweet mother-in-law arrived around 8AM also. I started labor by walking the halls by myself. It was nice to collect my thoughts and to keep moving at the same time. Y'all know me. I move pretty fast. I enjoyed being 'out and about' while I was in labor. I got in the labor pool about 7:30AM. It was so warm and nice. Leland set me up with a head rest and put The Today Show on TV for me to watch. It was hard to concentrate on the program. Contractions were really getting close now, probably about 1.5 minutes apart. I couldn't take the heat of the labor pool any longer, so I got out. I was sweating and uncomfortable at this point. I changed out of my swimsuit and had a big contraction right in the middle of the change. I decided I wanted an epidural. I was tired.

The nurse checked me. I was 8 centimeters dilated. I got the epidural and had a huge contraction mid-procedure. I have never been in that kind of pain before and had to remain completely still. Very challenging. I laid down flat on my back for the epidural to kick in. I sat up and had the urge to push. I screamed, 'I want to push, I want to push, I want to push!!'. Everyone ran to get in position. Dr. Hajovsky arrived. It was perfect! The epidural kicked in at the last minute, I pushed three times and Luke was in my arms. HE WAS PERFECT!

We praised God for giving us the gift of Luke McCall Lacy. He arrived at 9:46 AM on Friday, May 9th, weighing 8 pounds, 1 ounce, 20''. I was shocked that he was so big. Lane was 6 pounds, 10 ounces and I gained 31 pounds in that pregnancy. I only gained 18 pounds this pregnancy. I was so glad to have a 'big' baby! He latched on right away and was a nursing pro! I was elated. My parents arrived about 11:30 AM after flying low to the ground from Waco. We informed them that we named our son Luke McCall Lacy, the middle name being in honor of my father and mother. They cried when they met him. Kent, my wonderful, father-in-law came by that afternoon. Kent and Nevie were tending to Lane because he was feeling so horrible that day. He got to meet Luke the next day but had to wear a surgical mask, poor little guy. My brother Harvey and his girlfriend, Meredith, arrived and met Luke. My sister-in-law, Haley, and her husband Kevin and his parents, Keith and Sheila from the UK, arrived on Saturday to meet Luke.

The whole experience at Community Hospital was wonderful. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Hajovsky, nurse Judy Smith, and the rest of the wonderful staff and nurses at Community. I really didn't want to leave the hospital (except to see Lane). They took excellent care of me and Luke. Thank you to everyone who called, texted, emailed, came by the hospital, cooked us meals, and prayed for us. It was a very special day! Welcome to the world, Luke McCall Lacy! We love you.













No comments:

Post a Comment