Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ranch Trip with Dallas friends




We had a blast at the ranch last weekend with our friends, Michael, Tiffany, Jeanne, and David. They drove down from Dallas with all their dogs (including Lefty, there were 4 dogs). They arrived on Friday afternoon and we ate at Twin Mountain Steakhouse. It was tasty, but I almost cleared the whole restaurant when I had a coughing fit. We drove to the ranch after our meal and got settled in. Of course, we played Mexican train dominos and stayed up too late! The guys woke up in the morning around 6 and went turkey hunting. It was David and Michael's first time to turkey-hunt, so Leland helped out by calling in a big one. David took the shot and scored a great gobbler with an 8-inch beard and good spurs. On Saturday afternoon, we went to the San Saba River to fish. The dogs had the time of their lives swimming in the river. The big dogs got to go, but Lefty had to stay home. She is still recovering from being spayed. Jeanne has two black labs - Roxy and Tucker and Tiff and Michael have a husky named Aruski. After we fished we went to Pete's for a beer. It is the most quintessential, Texas, dive-bar I have ever been to. They don't even have a menu or prices posted. They just have Shiner, Coors, Bud, and Miller. Don't ask for anything fancy or they will know you're not from around there. The bar is right outside Fort McKavett. We had a blast there making fun of their bar dog. It is about the ugliest dog I have ever seen. It's a mutt and he's probably about 25 pounds overweight. I will post a picture of him. I didn't know whether to love him or be scared of him! On Saturday evening, we cooked a big meal and then roasted marshmellows over a fire. It was nice until the guys threw firecrackers in the fire. Hmph! On Sunday morning, the guys went out hunting again and Michael made an excellent shot -- 175 yards, off-hand. He got a great jake. They came back in from their hunt, we ate a big breakfast, and everyone got on their way. Thanks for driving all the way out here to see us guys. We've missed you. Come back anytime!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend! I can't believe I have lived here almost 8 years and never been to Pete's...We'll have to all go one of these days!

    ReplyDelete